Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Fine Balancing Act


I’m just going to make a quick post today; I have to go off to one of my classes in an hour or so. I was up till about 4 this morning, finishing off these sketches. I had other work to do during the day, so I had to put the hours in during the night, as often is the case. It’s a hard balancing act, putting enough time into personnel life so that relationships don’t fall apart, putting the time into your day job so that you don’t lose it, finding time to finish off the home work for the part time course you’re doing, and then using up the rest of the time to do what I consider most important – my drawing. And getting whatever sleep you can in between. 









These sketches are from the usual artists, David Finch, Mark Silvestri, Ed Benes. Humans are creatures of habit. The way I see it, when you’re trying to learn how to draw you need to copy and emulate other artists in order to gain experience from them. That’s how you gain new knowledge. Because the thing is, if you’re trying to draw stuff from your own head, you can’t learn anything from yourself if the knowledge and experience isn’t there to begin with. I like using other comic artists as practice mainly because as somebody who wants to work in the art form it’s important not only to have the skills in anatomy an proportions, but also the dynamic appearance comics have which make them so appealing. People enjoy comics because it allows them to escape from reality and enter a fantastic world inhabited by fantastic characters.  That dynamic element you find in comics is hard to capture when drawing from life or photography (although both are still just as important).




Anyway, that about wraps it up for today, I will probably do some of my own stuff tonight; see how I go. Hopefully this practice I’ve been doing has rubbed off on me a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment